Sunday, June 13, 2010

'Talking to a deaf dog'

It's actually quite challenging owning a deaf dog. I knew it would be a challenge, but I didn't understand just how difficult it would be, especially in the beginning. Zeus hadn't been taught any commands by his breeder. He was sort of being thrown into the pack with his litter mates and parents. He just followed what all the other dogs did. I know that this is how dogs in the wild function as well... but being deaf made this different for Zeus, I'm sure...

As soon as we brought Zeus home, we started teaching him (and ourselves) signs that are relevant; bathroom, stop, sit, good... and the much needed 'no'. We used bathroom and no the most  :) 
In the research I had done before actually deciding to get Zeus, I had read on-line that you can teach dogs American Sign Language - that's the most common language of the deaf community in our country. The average 5 year old dog can understand 50 or more signs. I find that fascinating! Zeus right now is almost 17 months old and he knows the ones I mentioned above plus food, water, lay down, bite, treat, ok, walk and leave. That's only 13 signs. I'm currently trying to teach him collar and play. Part of the challenge is trying to sign to him while he's outside on his leash. Signing takes 2 hands and I only have one available cause the other is holding onto the leash. You know what I mean?? That in itself is a challenge  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment