Saturday, June 19, 2010

People always ask us...

How much food does a Great Dane eat? That's a bit of a sore subject for me... When we first got Zeus, he was eating Iam's Big Dog Puppy Food, which you can pick up at Wegmans, Target or most pet stores. And it's reasonably priced! But he's had some 'sensitive stomach issues' (I'll go into further detail another time) that have caused us to shop around and find a really high quality food that has little to no filler in it. We ended up with Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. This stuff is expensive - $58 for 28 lbs.! The amount of food he eats makes me want to vomit, too! Large dog means large stomach... He used to eat 6 cups of food a day when he was a small puppy. By about 7 months, he was eating 9 cups a day! A bag of food didn't last me 2 weeks. I could pay for a new car with the amount of money I spend on pet food (I have 2 cats that are on a prescription diet, also!).

Now that Zeus has grown up, his appetite is different day to day. Some days he eats less than 6 cups, other days he still has 9. It's hard to predict. We've noticed that when it's really hot outside, he eats less. Drinks WAY more, but takes in less food. He's not supposed to get any taller at this point, so I imagine whatever he eats will be used for just energy... and he's got alot of that still  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment