Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It wasn't easy at first

...and it's still not easy today. Getting the whole family interested in having a deaf dog, that is. I truly believed that having this puppy would bring us closer together. I was sure that we'd all take the time to be patient with compassion and unconditional love for this creature that didn't ask to be born and didn't ask to be deaf.
When we first told the children, my 3 children and Steve's 2 children, about this puppy and asked how they felt about getting him, they were thrilled... until we mentioned that he's deaf. When I saw the disappointment on all of their faces, I was heartbroken. I guess I expected everyone would be on board and feel like he deserved a good life and that WE were the one's who could give it to him. But they didn't. Instead they asked questions like "how was he born deaf?" and "how will we talk to him?". Since I was the only one who had done research on raising a deaf dog, I was the 'expert' who answered their questions. My oldest son and Steve's daughter seemed to be the most leary and uninterested. They felt it would be a mistake and came right out saying "no, I don't want him"... My heart sank even further.
Being that I can be a stubborn woman (I won't admit that very often), I was determined to make this work. I still believed he would bring us closer. Little did I know what lied ahead in the days and months to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment