Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dog Owners Should Know Better!!

I am shocked how many people randomly walk up to Zeus and just start petting him! What shocks me even MORE is when the person starts talking to me and they say "...my dog this" or "my dog that"... It surprises me that dog owners don't know enough to be cautious when you walk up to a strange dog, especially a BIG strange dog!
Zeus does not like to be touched on the top of his head by strangers and yet... that's the first place most people go to touch him. It's his vulnerable spot, I guess... When Zeus meets a stranger, he wants to smell him or her first. I believe that's true of ALL dogs actually... But if Zeus smells someone and doesn't like their scent, he will growl, snarl and some times nip. I love it best when a person asks me "is it ok to touch your dog?" and I say "yes, but let him smell you first. Then if he's ok with you, don't touch the top of his head. Touch him under his chin and along his neck." Most of the time, if I get all those words out, the person will respect what I say and do just what I suggest. But every now and then, I'll run into someone who thinks Zeus is just a big lug and he (it's usually the men who do this) will go in for the head rub and start flopping Zeus' ears around... and next thing you know, Zeus will pull his head back and nip at the hand that's in his face. Then I get the slight attitude from the person, like I've created a monster and they back away and leave in fear.
I'm sorry... but if a dog owner tells you not to do something around his or her dog, doesn't common sense prevail and you actually honor what you're told?? I was attacked by a black lab in 5th grade totally out of the blue. I was sitting on a couch, the dog came in and just attacked me. I've always been afraid of dogs ever since and even today, I don't take for granted that Zeus loves me and doesn't want to hurt me. But dogs are unpredictable... and they have been known to attack their own family, or pack, members. All dog owners should know this... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment