Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Thought I Might Kill Him

Last year, when Zeus was still quite young, we lived in a small house we were renting. Most of my time was being spent at work (I was working at a wellness center then) and my oldest son, age 19 then, was not working and spent most his time home. I left my son in charge of my puppy. Little did I know that was a HUGE mistake. My son really didn't like Zeus and completely resented the fact that I bought him even though the majority of the family was against it. His resentment towards Zeus was noticeable in how he took care of him... or rather, in the lack of how he took care of him.
Being just a puppy, Zeus took great pleasure in finding and ruining things in the house. It was his 'Search and Destroy' game... Anything he could get in his mouth was destroyed. At one point he came to realize that the bathroom trash was filled with exciting goodies! On a couple of occasions, I would come home and find the bathroom trash was spilled over, rummaged through and spread around the bathroom and the hallway. Not so bad, and fairly easy to clean up...But the rule became: Close the bathroom door so the dog can't get in!! Pretty easy right?? Apparently, not easy enough. One day in particular, I came home to a complete disaster! My son was gone. I have no idea when he left the house, but he did NOT close the bathroom door. I came home from work to find the bathroom trash spread ALL OVER the downstairs, toilet paper pulled off the roll and dragged through the bathroom, the hallway AND the living room... and the toilet bowl cleaner was chewed, opened up and spilled all over the living room carpet!! I was furious!! I couldn't decide if I should scream, laugh or cry... I did all three! I must've looked like a lunatic, talking out loud to myself, having imaginary conversations with my son, my deaf dog, myself and God... It took me over an hour to clean up the mess and wash out the carpet. Our living room smelled like a fresh toilet for weeks, it was a strangely refreshing aroma :) I can't even remember the words I had with my son after that, but I know I threatened something near and dear to him (probably his laptop) and it never happened again. And by the way, the 'him' I thought of killing... I think it could've easily been either Zeus OR my son... Thank God I love them both dearly and decided to let them both live :)

No comments:

Post a Comment