Monday, August 23, 2010

We Gotta Go Back to the Vet

OK, we are STILL having issues with Zeus' poop! For almost 2 months now (seems more like forever) we've been feeding him chicken and rice until his diarrhea goes away. Then we give him 1/2 rice with 1/4 chicken and 1/4 dog food. Once the 'stuff' is firmer, he gets 1/2 rice and 1/2 dog food. I can't even remember the last time he had a full meal of just dog food!
This morning already he's gone out twice for 'dooky time' and they've both been mush. The second 'drop' even had some blood in it! Steve is thinking we should have his anal gland removed. That just screams FUTURE PROBLEMS to me... We were told that if his diarrhea didn't clear up it's possible he has allergies and the vet wants to test him for those, which runs $170 just for the test. Then if he tests positive, he'll be prescribed allergy shots which we'd have to administer daily!! I can't even imagine how much that'll cost!
Here's another issue he needs to see the vet for. He's got really long and thick toe nails. We can't clip them ourselves - he won't let us. Trust me, we've tried and it's not pretty... There's this one nail in particular that scratches up against the pad of the toe next to it and makes it bleed. It doesn't matter what the length of the nail is and it doesn't happen all the time. It's when he runs. He loves running and I know it's good for him to get that kind of exercise... but when he runs, he comes in the house and leaves blood everywhere he steps. Last night we had another episode of "The Bloody Paw" (sounds like a horror flick, right?) and didn't notice it right away. Finally, my daughter says "Oh my God, he's bleeding! Mom, there's blood everywhere." And sure enough, we ended up bandaging up his toe with gauze and medical tape then proceeded to clean up blood stains on the hard wood floors, the carpet in the living room, the ottoman and the ceramic tile in the bathroom... Let me just say that Formula 409 Carpet Spot & Stain Remover is an AWESOME product!! But I wish I didn't need it for blood stains from my dog's toe... I'm actually thinking of asking the vet if that one toe nail can be removed. Sounds horrible, I know... but drastic times call for drastic measures...

No comments:

Post a Comment